Use chicken stock if to be used on fowl or beef stock if to be used on beef.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium Spanish onion finely diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 cup port wine
- 6 cups home-made chicken stock
- 2 cups pomegranate juice or substitute cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, and sweat the onion and garlic until the onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Add the peppercorns and cook another 3 minutes.
- Add the port and cook, stirring, until most of it has evaporated. Add the stock, pomegranate juice, molasses and brown sugar, raise the heat to medium-high, and reduce slowly to a sauce consistency. As the sugars caramelize, the sauce will turn brownish red. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and add chives and pomegranate seeds.