Philadelphia Sticky Buns
Grandpop's recipe, a real keeper!
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/4 cup Warm water (105f-115f)
- 1 pkg Active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups Unsifted all-purpose flour (more or less)
- 1/4 cup Soft butter
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Chopped pecans
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Soft butter
- 1/4 cup Light brown sugar
- Whole pecans to cover
- In small pan, heat milk until bubbles form around edge of pan; remove from heat. Add granulated sugar, salt, and 1/4 cup butter; stir to melt butter. Cool to lukewarm. Add the egg and beat lightly to combine.
- Sprinkle yeast over water in large bowl; stir to dissolve and allow to sit for five to ten minutes to proof. Stir in lukewarm milk mixture and add to the 2 cups of flour; beat with electric mixer until smooth. Add the remaining 1/2 cup flour; mix with hand until dough is smooth and leaves the side of bowl.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface (or pastry cloth). Knead until dough is smooth and blisters appear. Place in a lightly greased large bowl; turn to bring up greased side. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, until double – 1 to 1 1/2 hours (or cover in saran wrap and let rise in the refrigerator overnight).
- In small bowl, with wooden spoon, cream 1/4 cup butter with 1/4 cup light-brown sugar. Spread on bottom and sides of 9x9x2 square baking pan. Sprinkle with whole pecans.
- Roll dough into a 16×12 inch rectangle. Spread with 1/4 cup soft butter, sprinkle with 1/2 cup brown sugar, the 1/2 cup chopped pecans, and the cinnamon. Roll up from long side, jelly roll fashion; pinch edge to seal. Cut cross-wise into 12 pieces and place cut side down in pan.
- Let rise, covered, in a warm place free from drafts for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until doubled (should rise to the top of the pan). May be refrigerated overnight (dough will rise slower when refrigerated). Remove from refrigerator and allow to return to room temperature before baking.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden. Let stand one minute, then invert on board or cooling rack; remove pan. Serve warm.