Le Yaca Cream of Onion Soup
Possibly the BEST soup I have ever had. First made by Larry & Elaine, and now a holiday staple.
Servings: 14 people
- 1 quart beef consommé
- 4 large red or yellow onions
- stick of butter
- 4 oz. Swiss cheese (grated)
- 8 slices baguette
- 1 glass dry white wine
- 1 oz. Jack Daniels
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- Peel the onions. Slice in half, and then mince into thin slices.
- In a heavy pan, melt the butter. When the butter is golden brown (but not dark brown), add the onions and cover over a low heat. The onions will first turn translucent and then dark gold. Do not let them turn black or caramelize, for that will turn the soup bitter.
- When the onions are dark gold, add the white wine and stir until the wine is evaporated. Add the consommé, cold (or water, if you do not have the consommé). Bring to a boil. Salt and pepper to taste. Let the mixture simmer for about 20 minutes. Put the mixture into a blender (or use an immersion blendeand puree until smooth.
- In a small bowl, mix the yolks, the cream and the Jack Daniels. Toast the bread.
- Add the cream mixture just before serving. Allow your guest to put in the bread and Swiss cheese to their taste.