Caramelized French Toast
The better the French bread, the better the dish.
Servings: 6 people
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 ½ cups skim milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 1sp vanilla
- Powdered sugar
- Melt butter and add brown sugar, cook until syrupy. Pour into a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
- Remove ends of bread. Slice into 12, 1-inch thick slices and place over sugar-butter mixture.
- Beat eggs, milk and vanilla and pour over bread.
- Cover dish and refrigerate overnight.
- Uncover and bake at 350°for 45 minutes. Sift powdered sugar over top when ready to serve.
- Top with warmed syrup, if desired. Serves six.
Light brown sugar may be substituted for the dark — same taste, different color. Regular milk may be substituted for the skim.