Nonna Smith’s Escarole Soup
Servings: 4 people
- 1 head of escarole
- 2 to 3 cans chicken broth
- ½ onion diced
- 1 small carrot diced
- ½ lb. ground meat
- ½ cup ditalini pasta or any small pasta
- 3 eggs beaten with parmesean cheese (per Elaine: “if you like a lot; you put a lot; If you like a little”etc.)
- Remove the base of the escarole and take it apart. Put it into a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then lower heat and allow to simmer for fifteen minutes. Drain. Set aside. (If you’re a salt lover, add the salt to the water before cooking).
- In a large pot, heat a little oil, add the diced onions and carrots and cook for about five minutes----DO NOT BROWN.
- To the ground meat, add 1 egg, parsely, parmesean cheese and bread crumbs. Roll into small balls.
- Add chicken broth and set heat to medium; bring to a low boil; add meat balls and pasta and allow to cook until pasta is done---about fifteen minutes,; then add back the cooked escarole, and add the beaten eggs and cheese to the boiling soup; swirl around and turn off burner