Italian Pizzelles (Grandmom's Recipe)
Before you start baking the cookies, put a small amount of vegetable oil on a paper towel and rub it in to the surface of the pizzelle maker. (it does not require additional oiling during the baking process.). Use about one tablespoon of batter onto the center of each of the two cooking surfaces. Cooking time should be somewhere between eight and ten seconds. You'll know how long after the first few. It goes very quickly and the more you do it the easier it gets. Allow to cool completely before storage.
Servings: 20 cookies
- 3 whole eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 1/2-2 cups flour (less flour makes a thinner pizzelle)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon anise flavor
- Preheat pizzelle maker, and mix all ingredients together.
- Drop by rounded teaspoon full onto preheated grid, close lid and clip handle together.
- Allow to cook until steam stops, about 30 seconds.
- Remove with fork, and place on a rack to cool.
Store in an airtight container.