Hot and Sour Coleslaw
This is a quick and delicious side dish, especially good with grilled food.
Servings: 6 people
- 1 small head cabbage (2 lb, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced)
- 1/2 lb carrots (3 medium, shredded)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
- Toss together cabbage, carrots, scallions, and salt in a large bowl and let stand until cabbage is slightly wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Bring vinegar, sugar, ginger, and red pepper flakes to a boil in a very small saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved, then pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat.