Ham and Cheese Scones
Easy and delicious!
Servings: 8 people
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 3 tbsp chilled butter (cut into small pieces)
- 3/4 cup (3 ounceshredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup finely chopped 33%-less-sodium ham about 3 ounces
- 3/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 2 large egg whites
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in cheese and ham.
- Combine buttermilk and egg whites, stirring with a whisk. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 to 5 times with floured hands.
- Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut dough into 8 wedges, cutting into but not through dough.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)