A rich and creamy starter or main.
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 8 oz. package fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 1/2 cups flaked back-fin crabmeat 2 6oz. cans of crabmeat plus 1/2 lb. of scallops may be substituted.
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add chopped onion and next 4 ingredients, and sauté until tender. Remove from oven; set aside.
- Melt remaining 1/4 cup butter in Dutch oven over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in onion mixture, salt and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat, and stir in crabmeat. Simmer, stirring often, 5 minutes. Stir in sherry.