Chicken and Dumplings
Serious comfort food!
- 3 qt. plus 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 carrots thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery with leaves thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup lowfat milk
- 1 Tbs. fresh thyme finely chopped
- 1 Tbs. fresh parsley finely chopped
- In a large pot, combine stock, carrots, celery, onions and parsley, maintaining a minimum depth of 4 inches of liquid for the dumplings to float in.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to a simmer. Salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the dumplings: Sift the dry ingredients together. In a small bowl, combine eggs, ricotta, milk and herbs; add to flour mixture.. Stir just until dough holds together. Using a tablespoon, form dumplings and drop into boiling broth.
- Cook 15 minutes.