Berret’s Mushroom Tart
A special occasion dish.
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 ¼ cups cold vegetable shortening
- ½ cup ice water plus or minus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
Asparagus and Oyster Mushroom Filling
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 to 3 cups coarsely grated dry Monterey Jack cheese about 6 ounces
- ½ medium onion grated (not chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 1 ½ cup coarsely chopped oyster mushrooms
- ½ pound asparagus cut into ½-inch slices
- ¼ cup pimientos
- Pastry crust
- Cut cold shortening into flour till mixture resembles a very coarse meal. Add sugar and salt to cold water and stir to dissolve then add to dry ingredients slowly and mix until all holds together.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces. Freeze or refrigerate one piece for other uses. Roll the other piece out on a floured board to ¼ inch thick. Roll dough up on rolling pin and transfer to a 10-inch tart pan, leaving ½-inch overhang. Set aside.
- Mix sour cream and dry Monterey Jack cheese in a bowl with a spoon. Add grated onion, nutmeg, salt and ground red pepper. Mix in eggs and half and half. Add oyster mushrooms, asparagus and pimientos.
- Pour into prepared shell and bake at 325°F for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until filling is set and puffed. Let sit for ½ hour before cutting.