Stuffed Baked French Toast
This is a sweet breakfast. That is why I cut down the amount of sugar. I also added two eggs to the six eggs that go into the French toast mixture and cut the amount of cream cheese to 12 oz. I have tried adding a layer of strawberry preserves or applesauce to top off the cream cheese filling. The recipe is very puffy when it comes out of the oven and sinks as it stands – that’s to be expected. It is very portable if you use a foil baking dish.
- 20-24 slices of bread any variety (remove crusts)
- 6 eggs
- 4 cups half & half
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup sugar I use 1/4 cup – it is still very sweet
- dash nutmeg
- 16 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Optional: applesauce sliced fresh fruits or berries.
- Trim crusts from bread. Spray a 3-quart baking dish with non-stick pan coating. Arrange half the bread in pan so that the entire bottom is covered. In a separate bowl, mix eggs, half & half, vanilla and sugar. Pour half of this liquid over bread.
- In a separate bowl combine filling ingredients, except optional fruits, together until creamy. Pour filling over moistened bread, then lay with option fruit if desired. Arrange other half of bread over top of filling and pour rest of egg mixture over the top. Sprinkle top with dash of nutmeg.
- Cover and let stand in refrigerator overnight. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting ingot 12 rectangles to serve. Serve with warmed maple or fruit syrup or fresh fruits of the season if desired.