A simple and satisfying version of a typically time-consuming restaurant classic.
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp peeled, deveined
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or 2 1/2 teaspoons dried
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 3 8- ounce bottles clam juice
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Melt butter in heavy large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add shrimp and sauté until just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to bowl. Add celery, onion, carrot, tarragon and lemon peel to Dutch oven. Sauté until vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes. Add white wine and brandy and boil 2 minutes. Add clam juice, whipping cream, rice and tomato paste. Cover pot and simmer until rice is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Purée soup in batches in blender. Return to Dutch oven. Place all but 6 shrimp in blender. Add 3 cups soup and blend until shrimp are coarsely chopped. Add to soup in Dutch oven. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate soup and remaining 6 shrimp separately.)
- Bring soup to simmer, stirring frequently. Ladle into 6 bowls; garnish each with 1 shrimp.