Indian Turkey Burgers With Lime, Cucumbers & Chutney
A blend of spices – cumin, coriander, cloves, and cinnamon – give Indian flavor to this spicy turkey and spinach burger.
Servings: 4 people
- 4 large unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
- 1 (10 ouncpackage frozen chopped spinach thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 1/2 large cucumber sliced thin
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup Major Grey Chutney
- 4 small (4 incpita breads
- Set garlic in a small skillet over medium-high heat; toast until spotty brown, about 5 minutes. Peel, mince and set aside.
- Mix salt, pepper, coriander, 1/2 tsp. cumin, cinnamon and cloves in a small bowl.
- Break up turkey in a medium bowl; add garlic, spinach, spice mixture, ginger and jalapeno; stir lightly with a fork to combine. Divide turkey mixture into 4 portions. Toss meat back and forth between cupped hands to form a ball. Pat with fingertips to flatten to about 4 1/2 inches wide. Refrigerate.
- Mix cucumber, lime juice, 1/4 tsp. cumin and salt to taste in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For charcoal grill: Build a hot fire on one side of grill. Replace rack. When coals are covered with white ash, add burgers. Cover and cook, turning only once, until done, about 5 minutes per side.
- Grill pitas until spotty brown and warm, a minute or so per side. Split crosswise. Place a burger on each of 4 pita halves. Top with cucumbers and chutney, then remaining pita halves.