Grandma Moore’s Famous Banana Cake
This recipe has been passed down for a while, so I don't know where it truly originated, but it is the traditional birthday cake in my family (was made for Rora's first). A very good cake that gets better the longer it sits.
Servings: 8 people
- 8 inch cake pan
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup shortening (I use butter)
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 cup buttermilk/or sour milk
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 2 yellow bananas
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Buttercream frosting
- Cream together sugar and shortening. Add eggs.
- Sift together remaining ingredients.
- Slice 2 very ripe bananas into milk, add alternately with flour mixture. When mixed well, add 1 tsp. vanilla.
- Pour into well greased and flour 8 inch cake pan.
- Bake at 350 till a tester comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Ice with butter cream frosting with sliced bananas between layers.